Thursday, December 9, 2010

Goodbye to GTP! (an intern looking forward)

Do you worry that you wont find enough opportunities to intern as an English major? I certainly did, but luckily I stumbled upon an amazing project, which began my short but important internship as an editorial assistant. I first became involved with the Global Text Project the spring of my sophomore year. Fortunately for me, the Global Text Project was piloting an internship program for university students. I was so proud after I was accepted into the program since I was quite young and inexperienced. For 2 semesters, I worked with Marisa Drexel and three other interns. For each of us, it was the first semester working with the project. We quickly learned each others working habits and perfected our ability to function as a team. The intimate setting and close connections I have made with the other interns helped me learn how to be a better leader and a better collaborator.

This small yet motivated group accomplished so much within a year. The most important lesson I have learned while interning at the Global Text Project is that you cannot be just a leader or solely a follower. At GTP, we work so intimately that it is almost impossible to sit back and fade into the background, which is why this project is so unique in what it offers interns. Every intern's opinion matters, and everyday each of us must be willing to give 110 per cent to complete all of our assignments. Some days one of us needs a helping hand, and someone's initiative to step in and give assistance allows the project to stay on track. You never know if you will be the person to help or the one who needs help, but no matter what we work together to finish the job. This atmosphere of team work and constant collaboration becomes contagious within the project. We lift each other up so we have nowhere else to go but forward.

Now, I myself am moving forward to intern with a literary agency. Working with the Global Text Project has opened up new opportunities for me and has helped me grow in multiple aspects. I do not think I could have achieved the literary internship without my experience at Global Text. An internship with this project does more then just resume-building, it teaches young students how to work and succeed within a real office environment. I owe so much to the project, and specifically to Marisa Drexel, our intern supervisor. She went above and beyond to teach us so much about future careers and expectations. Thanks Global Text! I hope I gave back to the project as much as it gave to me!

No comments: